View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
FORDF250HDXLT
EcoModding Lurker

chip truck - '93 ford F250HD DUALLY CONVERSION XLT
90 day: 12.89 mpg (US)

log truck - '93 Ford F-450/F-Superduty XLT
90 day: 9.17 mpg (US)
hey David! great to see you here too man!
thanks for the suggestions.
while googling big rig aerodynamics skirt,i found a cool avy lol.
i can see how i can copy that aero mod, no problem.
i didn't realize i had so many aero improvements that i could make.
i figured this big box was a hopeless write off.im glad to see iv got much room for improvement.
looks like my focus right off is going to be;
smooth out the sides.
round out the front corners some.
probably not a whole belly pan,but at least a custom bumper valance.
then work on enclosing the rear tires in,and perhaps some air deflectors on the under side of my toolboxes.i probably wont go too steep with those,because i haul heavy,and need the air to keep my tires cool between the duals.but im sure i can direct most of it to hit more down on them.
this should keep me busy for a while.
i had no idea really that those stake sides were causing much drag.so this is great to hear it will help free up quite a bit just in that.
im so happy no ones written my setup off as a hopeless,lost cause,areo brick lol.
thanks a mill guys!
i'll get working on some ideas and have pics of my progress within the month.

rigging up the back section of my hinged roof so it slants down some (at least when im not hauling stuff and don't need the room)......ok.im not going to write that idea off.as it really does sound like it could make quite a difference by many here.i'll need to keep an open mind.after all my wallet is much more important than looks,and with the slant in the bed like that,it wouldn't be like something hanging off the end anyway,and really not alter the looks much anyway.

edit;
while searching the big rig aero kits some more,something called a "Trailer Tail" came up.
with some impressive results.
www(add the . here lol)findatruckingjob.com/trucking-info/trucking-articles/trailer-tail-improves-miles-gallon
i think i could live with incorporating these onto my rear french door style gate.hinged as well,so i could still open the gates to dump easily.hmmmm
search this on youtube:
TrailerTail - Fuel savings of 6.5%+ for tractor-trailers
i could build one of these for my bed.

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 05-22-2011 at 08:48 PM..