View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Any chance you could post a rough sketch or a copied picutre of what you have in mind?
well for what it's worth, my underbody aero stuff, all in all it feels like an improvement, as the car seems to glide trough the air more easy and feels faster (despite modest power and a warm air intake to steal a few more horses)
since all mods are on FE has gone up as well... most mods have been tested up to 150km/h and the car wanted to go even faster...

i started with a coroplast front tray from the bumper to the front wheels that's attached to an aluminum bracet that's attached to each side if the bumper and with zipties to the subfame. the next stage is a thin aluminum undertat that's screwed into the coroplast at the front (a bit unaerodynamic, but strong enoug to withsand scraping trough the snow all winter) and in the back int's attached with metal clips that fit into square holes, apparently for an undertrat this car never had (some calibras based on this car had them so i suppose the subframe is a common part)

the sqared bulge was needed to clear the exhaust... leaving a gap would have split the tray and robbed all the strenght, while this adds frontal area i believe it may work as an engine air extractor.

the airdam was already lower at the sides but i extended it a bit further.
graphs on the calibra defelopement indecated that the lower these go the better, but that theres a point where the improvements become to small to justify the ground clearance problems. initially i had the dams a bout twide the height they are now, but they would scrape so i trimmed them down

in front of the tires i have dams made from flexible kitchen cutting mats (1,5 euro's for a pair at ikea)

i made similar dams for the rear, screwed to bracets i glued to the cars body (i don't want to drill a rust prone area)

finally at the back i have an undertay/diffuser, made from coroplast... it curves up mode than what's ideal, but it smooths out the back a bit more

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
The Following User Says Thank You to lunarhighway For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (05-23-2011)