View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
ChrisAE82
EcoModding Lurker

'85 Corolla "compromise" project

I bought the car a couple of years ago as a daily driver while I built my "race car", a Ford ZX2.

’85 Toyota Corolla AE82, 3spd auto with no OD, 187,108 miles, 1.6 carb'd 4AC with ~50whp stock.

Along with being a daily beater, I also use the car for AutoX and RallyX, so what I'm looking for are eco-mods that also aid in performance, or at lest don't hurt it, so this car is sort of a "compromise". Right now I'm only getting 24mpg highway and 18 city. This is due mostly to the 26 year old carburetor having a sunken float. This issue is being resolved this week with a set of Yamaha R1 motorcycle carbs. Another issue that will be taking care of is the transmission, which has no overdrive, at puts me at 29rpm at 60mph. A 5spd manual swap is in order. That leaves aero....this car is a box, lol.

Here's a few things I plan to do;
Front air dam
Underbody alloy paneling
Rear diffuser
Headlight covers
Smaller side mirrors
Fiberglass hood and trunk lid
Rear windows replaced with lexan

Things I already done that will help in the MPG department, is gutting the car, power steering delete, and tires aired at 40psi. Also have a rebuilt head with 1mm milled off for higher compression ratio.

Now for a question. I live in Louisiana, our summers are horrible. Temps can reach 110f with 100% humidity. Although my car still has A/C, I rarely use it as it puts a huge load on the engine, it literally cuts power (and mileage) in half. So I mostly ride with my windows down, which I'm sure puts quite a drag on the car. I'm thinking a solution would be to add a air scoop on the roof, similar to what race cars use. Not only would it let my keep my windows up, but I could also rip out the A/C for more weight savings.

Has anyone used one of these scoops with MPG in mind?

Last edited by ChrisAE82; 05-23-2011 at 06:45 PM..