View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #157 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Here is a summary of last week's trip to Slovenia:
  • On the way there I had my average FE: 1200-1300km before filling up.
  • When we came back I had 1500km and the onboard computer said I have another 150km. I won't beat my record of 1666km, but 1500+ is still good if you take into account that I was with the Wife, two bikes, and a whole bunch of shtuff in the trunk, and doing 95-105 km/h, instead of slowly PNGing alone in an empty car. As we crossed the border back into Poland the computer claimed I could easily do 1800-1900km on that tank, but it seems to have forgotten how bad driving in Poland is. Not only are the roads awful compared to most of Europe, but other drivers are just plain crazy: In the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and Slovenia most cars would be going 90-110 km/h on the highways where the speed limit is 110-130, but Polish drivers floor it as if their lives depended on it as soon as they see half of a two lane road
  • The A/C didn't work during the heatwave, so that helped lower fuel consumption (yea), but the Wife said that I have to get it repaired before next month's trip (nay).
  • I'll also have to fix the rear window, which hasn't been opened for a year now. That should help keep A/C usage down.
  • The engine's foil-on-cardboard insulation moved back to the roof window to reduce thermal gain.
  • When filling up in Slovenia the pump registered more fuel than usual: The last few tanks have been 1200-1300km and would take 57-59 liters when topped off. This time I poured 61 liters and still didn't see any foam. I thought that is weird but the car was not on level ground. After paying I noticed a puddle growing under the car - I checked that it is diesel. Damn! I lost at least 4 liters of fuel There must be a leak somewhere at the top of the tank, which I'll have to fix before I can top the tank off again. Before our trip I topped the tank and didn't notice any puddles, but the station where I usually fill up is flat. If I've been losing fuel each time I filled up then it's no wonder that I haven't been able to get more than 1300km out of the last few tanks
  • The radiator side of my active grille block broke its connection to the actuator motor, so I had to keep it open to keep the temperature under control while climbing the Alps during a heatwave.
  • The rear brakes were quiet - like new - after cleaning all that grime and rust off of them, but the front brakes were wailing (literally) to get the same treatment.
But other than that Slovenia is a beautiful country and we had fun To keep car uasage down we would park at the campground for 2-3 nights and bike around to do local sightseeing.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread