View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Remember that the headlights' load is proportionally larger at idle than when driving, so unless you plan to A-B-A test it, the results will probably be within tank-to-tank noise.
I may try and figure out an A-B-A test as the difference at idle was higher than I thought. Helga has a lightened flywheel compared to standard but its still heavy compared to a petrol car.

Based on this I have assumed the effort of turning it would be greater than any load - certainly using the A/C (which I have done 3x in the last 5 years) never had any effect I could detect in terms of performance. I never used it long enough to determine an effect on FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Day Rime Running-lamps are not the same as automatic headlights, you can have one and not the other.
I deliberately turn mine on, I don't have DRLs or auto lights, just a switch by the wheel which I use to turn on the dipped lights. I started doing this when I had a FIAT which allowed it and the number of people who would pull out, do a double-take and choose not to was quite amazing, so I have run with headlights ever since. Around the same time I worked with a biker (as in MC) who said he always ran with lights otherwise he seemed to be invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
That article also mentions an "insignificant" increase of %4 more motorcycle accidents when cars use DRLs
Every MC I see these days uses lights too, see my comment above.

I agree though, if everything stands out then nothing does.