View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hello folks,

I have asked at my local auto body shop, and they do not have a source for fiberglass. So, my question is: can you please post specific information on where to buy fiberglass building materials? In particular, I want to buy epoxy resin.

Thanks in advance.

Are there other materials that you have found useful? Please post the information for others to get them.
Raka, Inc. 772-489-4070
Get 2:1 ratio resin to hardener, it is less toxic than 4:1. For example, from the site above, a good combination would be Resin 900 Medium and Hardener 608 Medium. Fast hardener can be too fast in warm weather, and Medium cures overnight just as well as Fast does. I have used Slow with good results too, it just takes a bit longer to cure in cold weather.

Get a small postal scale that reads out in half ounces. Use the scale to weigh out the amount of resin you need, then add half that weight in hardener. The pumps are convenient but then you have little control over how much or how little epoxy you make.

Buy a bag of cheap chip brushes, a bag of tounge depressors and a bag of pint plastic containers.

Raka, Inc. 772-489-4070

You will want a few different types of fillers. Silica is the strongest but is hard to sand. Wood flour is a middle ground and usable in most areas. Microballoons (glass bubbles) are for sanding and fairing. You don't need much of each. $10 buys enough filler for a big project. At a minimum you will need silica and glass bubbles. Make sure you wear a mask while mixing fillers, the powders get in your lungs if you don't.

Raka, Inc. 772-489-4070

6 oz plain weave is pretty much a standard glass cloth for covering plywood. You could go thinner, 4 oz, for example. You can cut tape (strips of glass cloth) with a quality scissors, it is usually cheaper than buying tape.
skyking (06-14-2011)