View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
FORDF250HDXLT
EcoModding Lurker

chip truck - '93 ford F250HD DUALLY CONVERSION XLT
90 day: 12.89 mpg (US)

log truck - '93 Ford F-450/F-Superduty XLT
90 day: 9.17 mpg (US)
david85
yeah it was pretty easy to do.i just took my time after work and got it done.i primed the sections i just cut to fit,and while drying i cut the other sections.before i was done,they were ready for paint.i just threw one thick coat on the insides,and then once everything was done,i rolled the other thin coat on the outside,the next day.so it only took me a couple hrs after work for two days really,and i was done.
its just very thin plywood from home depot.it may only last a couple yrs before its rots away,but then they where only just 12 bucks a sheet or so,and i only needed to buy 3.
i figured the sooner i just get it done,the sooner the payback,and then savings.

KamperBob,
i'll never consider going smaller with the bed.the whole reason i drive this truck is to move wood and chips etc.the larger the bed-the fewer the trips,making FE almost meaningless.by the miles driven less because i can take more at once,and all the time saved by doing so as well.since its a 100% work truck only,you know what they say time is....
truck duty first.fuel economy will always be secondary.
iv got a small car when i need to just haul myself around.
however if you have some ideas for the bed in its current state,id be interested to see some ideas.
im not going to get hardcore,like many here do.for example trying to close up gaps between trim/headlights etc.
all im looking for are the big obvious things,and a few smaller.but nothing tedious.
this truck doesn't move,unless it's to make $.however,i don't want to be like most folks,who just do nothing about aero once they setup their work trucks either.fuel costs way too much now,to do nothing.
basically,if i can gain .5 (true average) mpg from aero modding,then im a happy guy.though,if there is obvious room for improvement after that,i won't stop until most here say iv got all the big basics covered.

next up i guess will be building a lower bumper valance to clean this up.
not sure what im going to make this out of.but id like to rig it up so i can toss two large pins through my plow push plates so i could remove it quick and easy when required.
i may need to go to my local steel/welding fabricators to build it for me.
in the pic,the bumper is just barely shown on the upper left side.
the push plates are about 1" higher still than the front axle.-though i haven't measured yet.
because iv got pretty short tires on her to set it low,i really don't think i want to go lower with my valance than the push plates,though i know it should be as low or slightly lower than the axle.i just don't want to be plowing road kill,know what i mean lol.
but surely blocking off at least most of this mess has to help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	8491  

I drive so slow and easy,Id put granny to sleep.

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 05-27-2011 at 06:55 PM..