View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I can't claim to have had anything old that was good on fuel, more like some of them weren't as bad as others. A family friend had a late '70s Dodge Monaco with a lean burn 440 set up in it, and it actually got decent mileage considering the size of the car and the engine. Granted it's all 3rd hand information, but he claimed to get in the low 20 mpgs on the highway, and that would have been with a non-overdrive transmission. The lean burn used a different carb and distributor, and had to be tuned in a certain way. No doubt most of them probably got scrapped a few years later by local mechanics that would have told owners "Get rid of this crap and put a regular carb on it" when they couldn't figure out how to tune it correctly. I have always wanted to find one of these cars just to see if the system actually worked like it was supposed to. If so, it was pretty impressive for the time I think.