View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #226 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkid2002 View Post
I've been watching this for a while, congrats on hitting 100mpg by the way. Now I'm looking at a Ninja, go figure.

Anyhow, who is going to be the first to take the plunge for the EFI kit? I haven't really been able to find any reviews on it, and it would be interesting to see if there were any MPG gains. Especially with that little rich/lean switch.
I have been speaking with the tech guy from the company and we are trying to work things out with possibly getting me a test kit. It doesn't seem like the kit is exactly plug and play as advertised, but that should be expected when changing over to fuel injection. Also, the kit as-is does not support ignition adjustments. A separate controller (extra 50$) needs to be purchased in order to adjust the timing. However, i was told that the stock ninja 250 ignition map is pretty darn good and "shouldn't" need to be adjusted.

I do not think gains will be seen unless the jetting on the bike is way off (too rich). Lots of people say the jetting from the factory is a bit rich, especially in 90 degree weather. For example, my bike runs absolutely fine down in the teens Fahrenheit. I did also do a test by removing the factory velocity stack inserts on the airbox and the bike was way too lean and would not maintain speed with my gearing. That was in approximately 60* weather, so take it for what its worth.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today