Thread: 2012 ford focus
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
...The Prius has a much lower cost per mile and a bigger interior.
Interesting. Mrs A is about to get a Prius to replace her Octavia (same as Jetta, different badges) - she thinks the interior will be smaller and is having second thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
You can get a Honda Insight for $4000 less than a Prius or a Jetta.
You wouldn't want to though, have you driven a new Insight ? Also that interior compared to a Jetta - uuurgh

Its the other way round here - the Prius is a good £2-3K more than the equivalent Diesel and gets similar mileage, and is slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
...t was not just the emissions that cause the problem it is a safety factor as well. There are safety restrictions that would add hundreds of lbs. to a car to meet the standards and also kill that desirable super high MPG many of us here want...
I get that and question it at the same time. A lot of the models from Hyundai, Kia etc. are exactly the same models, just with a Diesel option. We even get Diesel Chevrolet Cruze's. The Toyota models are on similar platforms, the last European Honda Accord was also known as the Acura TSX in the US.

Emissions maybe - not insurmountable though and the same unit can be used in other markets like the EU. Or maybe it is just a niche as has been tapped.

Still seems odd from outside the US.

EDIT - The question was inspired by this list on TDIClub. Note the number of models sold on both sides of the pond.

Last edited by Arragonis; 05-31-2011 at 05:07 AM..