Thread: 2012 ford focus
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Interesting. Mrs A is about to get a Prius to replace her Octavia (same as Jetta, different badges) - she thinks the interior will be smaller and is having second thoughts...
I don't know what the octavia is like but the US jetta has the same passenger volume and much smaller trunk than the prius. The Jetta has become a bit of a joke. For the 2011 redesign they brought back the 2.slow 8 valve engine and drum brakes. I'm sure they'll have type 1 air cooled option soon.
Quote:
You wouldn't want to though, have you driven a new Insight ? Also that interior compared to a Jetta - uuurgh
Several through Zipcar. The interior quality puts the jetta to shame. Early 2010s had issues with the start/stop response but 2011s are much better. I think the dealers have a software update for the 2010 insight.

Quote:
Its the other way round here - the Prius is a good £2-3K more than the equivalent Diesel and gets similar mileage, and is slower.
Thats the price of the additional emissions equipment to meet EPA and CARB standards. There is no way the 140hp TDI is going to match the Prius 50mpg city on the US cycle. It can barely do 30mpg. Then you have to factor in the 10% premium of diesel fuel over gasoline and you end up with a lot of cheaper non hybrid gasoline fueled cars like the Focus, Civic, Elantra etc that make the TDI pointless. VW would be better off selling a fuel efficient gasoline engine instead. If everybody else can do it...
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Last edited by tjts1; 05-31-2011 at 12:50 PM..