Thread: 1994 Ford F150
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Execut1ve
EcoLurker

truck - '94 Ford F150 XLT
90 day: 13.15 mpg (US)

civic - '00 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.24 mpg (US)
1994 Ford F150

Hello all,

I'm not new to the site but I thought I'd submit my 1994 F150 to the group for evaluation. The specs: (for those too lazy to read them on my profile )

1994 Ford F150
reg cab, long bed w/ cap
5.0L V8 OHV FI engine
auto trans (4R70W)
4wd
3.55 gears
stock size tires
~155k mi

I got this truck from my father in law, who did not maintain it well at all. It was leaking oil and coolant and they assumed it was a lost cause. I've put a lot of work into whipping it into shape, with good results so far Things I've replaced/fixed include: ball joints, front axle u-joints, wheel bearing, oil pan, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, brake caliper, radiator, radiator hoses, and thermostat. Next repair is not decided yet but it could be changing differential fluids or adjusting valve clearances.

Back in the winter the best I could do with it was 12 or 13 mpg, which I blame on cold temps and winter gas. Now that it's warmed up I've pushed up to around 15 mpg. Currently it is my daily driver, mainly used to go to work and back which is about 5 mi (top speed 45 mph, slightly uphill) one way. I haven't done much in the way of modding for fuel econ on the truck simply because my time has been taken up with repairs. I did electrically disconnect the AC compressor (trial basis to see if I can tolerate no AC through the summer), remove the air intake duct that runs under the mouth of the hood, creating a sort of quasi-warm air intake, and install a slightly cooler than stock thermostat (180 vs 195) in preparation for a timing bump.

I have a new engine (4.9L I6) waiting ready to go in as soon as I scratch up the funds to buy it. I'd also like to swap to a manual tranny but I have yet to source that. Other mods I've considered include e-fans and e-pump (probably with alternator upgrade), camshaft swap and valvetrain upgrade, timing bump to 16 deg BTDC in conjunction with ignition system upgrade and stretching spark plug gap, AC delete, regearing (to what?) and power to manual steering conversion.

I would love any suggestions or discussion on what order I should do those mods or any other suggestions that would be helpful. I am also interested in aero mods such as an air dam or underbelly pan - I will tolerate looking silly to a point in the name of fuel econ I have plenty of pics of the truck in various stages of disassembly if anyone's interested as well