View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #60 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
I usually get honked at taking off from a light, which I find silly because usually by the time I am at the speed limit I am right up with them, I just did it a bit slower.

Havent got the figure yet but wanted to add two things.

One - In most states, it is the law that someone coming off a ramp into traffic is responsible to adjusting their speed. People seem to forget this. A driver on the freeway is not supposed to have to change lanes or slow/speed up.

Two - In most states it is also illegal to drive below the speed limit. Doing 50 in a 55 min zone is at least Impeading Traffic, it could be considered reckless driving. Its always best to stay within the law.
Please cite a source with specific information (such as a vehicle code reference) for number two.

Last I was aware, interstate highways were covered by federal administration, and only subject to local enforcement of the laws which applied to them, hence large vehicles having the legal ability to remain in the right lane while traveling significantly alter than the flow of traffic, or the posted speed limit, as the case may be.

Because rules of the NHTSA, FMCSA, and Federal Dept of Transportation laws state that the rules of the road are universally applicable, it is also perfectly legal for commuter cars and other small vehicles to travel below the legal posted speed limit, to some extent, in the right most travel lane.

If you can prove otherwise, please do.