View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
ik04
Diesel Doer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Wh/mile would work for EV's. But how would you then compare it to hybrids, or ICE powered cars?

The MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) uses a BTU equivalency of various fuels and electricity to make it possible to compare E10, E85, diesel, hybrids, plugin hybrids, and "pure" electric cars, in a way that is familiar to most people. It isn't perfect, but it seems to be the best way to do this.
That is my point. Stop comparing electric powered vehicles to ICE vehicles. There is no valid comparison between what a consumer product (car/motorcycle) consumes in fuel and the cost of powering a battery powered or plugin vehicle. It is apples and oranges.

The electric current required to charge an EV is produced upstream at either a coal/solar/hydro/wind/nuclear/natural gas power plant or at a small-scale home made power plant. Unless the energy fairy magically runs your car, the vehicle is truly powered by these sources.

That said, I would like to see real-world FUEL economy shown on the MPG list because that fuel is coming out of my wallet and I am trying my best to get way above sticker fuel mileage out of my car.

Maybe a realistic cost per mile regardless of fuel or electric source would be a universal comparison. The problem there is the wildly variable cost of power/fuel/fairy dust around the world. My Mercedes only gets about 25 miles per gallon of fuel, but the fuel costs me nothing because it is donated motor oil, transmission fluid and vegetable oil...

My Volkswagen Lupo is now getting between 68 and 75 Miles per US Gallon without even trying to hypermile the thing. I know it will do better...