Thread: 1994 Ford F150
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #44 (permalink)
Execut1ve
EcoLurker

truck - '94 Ford F150 XLT
90 day: 13.15 mpg (US)

civic - '00 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.24 mpg (US)
Frank:
now that I look at the situation it really is almost ideal for bicycle commuting. The distance is reasonable, traffic isn't too bad and there are showers at work! My only complaints are one good sized hill and lack of cycling lanes. I don't mind the opportunity for exercise but I will have to scrounge up a bike somewheres, probably from some dusty and undisturbed section of the in-law's (I live in the same town as them) garage. and btw my calculated fuel cost for the one-way trip to work is about $.90 for a total of around $3.60 per day

War wagon:
I plan on ordering the stock temp thermostat with my next batch of parts and re-replacing it shortly thereafter. I would bother with UD pulleys but as it stands now, my AC is just an idler and I'll be going to manual steering and probably e-fan, so the only things that could be underdriven will be the alternator and water pump. Also, idk if you're aware, but on these trucks it's just the one serpentine belt rather than multiple belts as on my civic. One reason I am attracted to the e-pump is the idea of running nothing but the alt on the belt.

ghostwalker:
no air silencer that I have found and I've had that intake disassembled and out of the truck several times. I do also have a civic, its fuel econ is doing great right now, but the wife is driving that because I don't want her driving the truck which could break down and leave her stranded. Also I suspect she would get worse fuel econ on the truck than I do. See above concerning UD pulleys. I think you misunderstood me concerning biking to work, I'm not opposed to the sweat. But I will not get a motorcycle - too much temptation to take it out on faster roads, where safety would be a real concern. You make a good point on weight reduction, I am pretty fussy about keeping a fastidiously clean bed (to the embarrassment of the truck crowd, no doubt). I could ditch the spare as it is full size (more than full size in fact... it's a 265 tire and I run 235's) but beyond that I don't know what else I could lose without really cutting into things like seats, carpet and dash. These old Fords were built strong and heavy, that's for sure