View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #136 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Chp

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
This is exceedingly cool and tantalizing, but I have the reality of the Cali Highway Patrol, which pulled me over re: my driver side mirror delete today. I got off with a warning. That's actually my second warning. If I had a foot long projection I think I'd catch more trouble. I already run tint where I am not supposed to. I need a strictly legal solution here.

I have noticed this about the trunk lids. I like this idea a lot. I recently took apart the rear deck inside the car and I could attempt this, lifting the third backlight a little higher easily. In fact my first effort at a "spoiler" was maybe not altogether off from this idea... see old attached photo. It was just a 2'x4' sheet of 4mm thick coroplast taped down. I could elevate it a little and shape it in the spirit of the 82 TransAm. I could mount it to the lower window and cut it to curve around the the side, yes? Any further thoughts before I act on this idea?
I wouldn't be concerned about CHP,they're just looking to preserve safety.I can see why they popped you for the mirror delete.
In 35 years I've only been pulled over twice.The first officer was not acquainted with the 80 mpg speed limit and pulled me over.When he realized his mistake he made an embarrassed apology,we shook hands and I was on my way.
The second time,the officer thought he had not seen my front license plate.When he looked,he registered his error,we parted on friendly terms.

I have had officers pull a u-turn,accelerate up for a closer look,then fade away as they realized the vehicle was in compliance.
This happened especially after Bonneville when I still the had cardboard and duct tape add-ons on the car.
If you 'look' like you've been considerate of the other motorists safety you should be okay.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to cutting to fit the contour of the backlight,that would be best, as you want to trap dead air inside there if you can.Snugger the fit,the better.