View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Red is since the all of the interior is lit in red at night:

I don't like a mix of colors at night... I'm already having to resist ripping out the headunit in this car (while it has great features and sounds awesome) for it's blue lighting.

I had this exact console when we had our '98 GMC Jimmy, and being just above the rear view, it was easy to check. For my project, it'll go into my Formula, with it's lower roof line the display is even closer to my line of sight. I habitually check mirrors so for me it's a good place.

Another thought I had on this console was to flip it upside down, and trim off the garage door buttons/lights/sunroof switch half of it, and shape the screen half to sit on top of the dash, just above the A/C vents. Again, going for a factory look inside the car.

Also, I have just a working knowledge of building circuits, so let me make sure I've got what you sad. The series of resisters for the 20ma screens can't be made any brighter, but if I found a display with a higher rating, I could make a lower resistance series and bump up it's brightness? Or can the 20ma screens deal with a bit less resistance?

I think after looking at the kit more, I feel good about soldering it up. The offset cost of between it and the prebuilt would cover a red screen.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 06-04-2011 at 02:52 PM..