View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actwithclarity View Post
I learned myself to drive standard from reading a page on the internet. Basically I can drive around half smoothly but I have no idea:

~ how much gas to apply [just hard enough to not stall .... burning rubber]
~ when to shift [lowest rpm for next gear .... highest rpm for this gear]
~ what gear to shift into [next number gear, skipping one, highest possible, etc]

(to get good fuel efficiency)

Please help me understand these basics. A video would also be helpful if anyone has one.
The "things you can do to improve" lists on here - see the stickys - are a starting point, but there isn't a magic spell technique or mod which works for every car or even the same car in different environments.

You have to get some feedback in the form of instrumentation and work it from there using maybe a quiet road or a non-busy part of your commute and compare the different techniques available.

For myself I prefer the low revs idea and sometimes combine that with gear skipping - 1-3-5 or even 1-2-4-6 (the 1-2 is to get rolling). A merging or slipping clutch is a wearing one though. Also bear in mind I drive a Diesel which has a heavier flywheel and mega torque at low revs and so is much harder to stall and happier on a light accelerator touch as it has no throttle restricting airflow - it is fuel controlled - your car may be different.

Good luck, and post back results for others to share.