View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
actwithclarity
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
post a video of yourself, and then we will critique you.
I am learning a lot of new things in my job lately. The method for learning is not to pick something up without a clue and try to use it, and then have experienced people explain everything and try to cope with it. The method is to first watch experienced people doing their thing, and then try to mimic what you have observed. Then they give feedback on the tiny things you still need to learn. A picture is worth a thousand words they say so I hope to find a video of someone else driving a standard for good fuel efficiency before I would post my own attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
My thought is to keep it near as near the ideal spot on the bsfc chart as possible. The more gears you use the closer you can stay to your target rpm.
I saw the BSFC chart but had trouble trying to interpret it. Where do I want to be on the graph??? The bottom line (lowest fuel efficiency) always correlates with the lowest load, or is it torque? How does the load on my car vary when driving on a level surface? How do you determine what gear to be in by looking at this graph? Any insight would be nice.