View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Promising_Confinement
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic LX - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Promising_Confinement Send a message via Yahoo to Promising_Confinement
1997 Honda Civic LX on a paper route.

Mine's about 99.9% stock with a 5 speed manual (brand new clutch) the person who had it before me thought it'd be a great idea to stick glasspacks on it, so it sounds a lot meaner than it actually is. heh

The O2 sensor was bad when I got the car (the people at the dealership told me about it heh), just gotta get the money to have it fixed. I'm not a car guy, about the extent of what I can do with one is change a tire and do brakes. Begrudgingly ... most of the time I just call one of my friends with "Hey, wanna make 20 bucks? I need brakes done." :P

I've been using an Android app called FuelLog to keep track of things, filling up once it hits the E marker and my lowest MPG is 31.66 while the highest is 32.06 with my driving it kinda hard running late and trying to get people their paper as early as I can. heh I do still do a few little tricks just out of pure habit day or night when I drive, like coasting down hills or in between close together stops in neutral, or when I'm driving 55 or 60, if off in the distance I see a light turn orange, no matter how far away I am I keep my foot on the clutch until I can either go again or come to the stop at red.

This is with a rather extreme form of in town driving (delivering papers is a constant start, stop affair) for about 75 or 80 miles a night Monday through Friday.

In the past before I got the phone and the app just keeping track of it myself, with REALLY trying ... doing things like on the way out to where I deliver the papers ... speeding up to about 60, keep my foot on the clutch, turn the car off -leaving it on accessory-, coasting down to about 45, pop the clutch, speed back up, rinse repeat and doing that as often as I can on the route itself. Something I would NEVER try during the day, but at 3 or 4 in the morning with barley any traffic at all it's not such a big deal. heh

But doing those little tricks I've managed 41 MPG.

Oh, and right now the car is sitting at almost 277,000 miles and other than the O2 sensor, is running beautifully.