View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
nubie
MAD Modder

I think we are off-topic here, your idea of DCD is intriguing.

I wish you would come straight out and talk in plain engineering terms "DCD" is marketing speak. Here at Ecomodder you could just say "pattern based fuel injector cut-out"

I would like to see the vibrations set up by such a system, if they aren't too much it would be interesting to try it.

I am assuming that implementing such a system with an open fuel injection system such as Megasquirt would be relatively cheap. Say $250 or less if the user handles the programming and soldering of the computer.

I would of course like to see how this conforms to smog legality, it can't be easy to keep the oxygen sensor or the catalytic converter happy when regularly skipping injection events. So the fuel mixture in the active cylinders may not be ideal. I would expect an oxygen sensor for each cylinder may be necessary to keep closed-loop operation, as well as intelligent handling of the extreme lean condition that will happen as the fuel injection is cut.

I believe there is a reason the OEMs don't do this, perhaps it is because they have the money for a mechanical system and a mechanical system is superior, or because the vibration and harshness is unpleasing and specialized engine mounts need to be designed.
The Following User Says Thank You to nubie For This Useful Post:
Heihetech (06-06-2011)