View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peakster
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Exclamation So you DO need collision insurance for a bicycle!!!

Ever since riding my bicycle as my main mode of transportation, I've wondered just what exactly would happen with a collision between a bicycle and a motor vehicle in terms of damage coverage.

In another thread, member DifferentPointofView stated that no-matter what the circumstance, the vehicle is always at fault when involved in a collision with a bicycle. This seemed a little too 'black and white' to me so I investigated for the ultimate answer to this situation.

After being re-directed on the telephone about 9 times (because the people I talked to weren't sure either) I finally reached the head office of the only vehicle insurance provider in my province. This is what they had to say:

In the event that a bicycle causes damage to another motor vehicle in a collision, the incident must be reported to Saskatchewan Government Insurance where fault will be determined. If the rider of the bicycle is found at fault, the damage falls under home insurance.

...and if that person doesn't have home insurance, the damages will be paid out of pocket of the cyclist!

Having no 'bicycle' insurance is a risk I personally wouldn't want to take (and especially in countries where healthcare is paid out of pocket of the consumer). Make sure you guys have good home/health insurance when cycling! The driver isn't always at fault!