View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joenavy85
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Masonite swells and falls apart when exposed to water.
I've worked with it in the past and it can easily be sealed to prevent moisture damage.

Quote:
Why not just add stiffeners to the coroplast? Insert dowel rods of correct thickness where needed. Probably lighter and quieter than masonite, and you already did the work.
stiffners won't help when a jagged rock hits the coroplast, that and there aren't many places to attach braces to on the underside. The work I've done is only taped in place right now and would have to be removed to make it permanant anyway, plus I would use the original coroplast pieces as patterns to cut the masonite.

Quote:
Heat: Use aluminum window screen material, held taught, near exhaust pipe, etc.. The aluminum screen is a superb heat conductor/dissipater, also breathes to let heat out while maintaining a relatively smooth aerodynamic surface.
won't do any good since I want to keep the engine bay warm, the heat mainly comes from the radiator and the air coming out of it, the air flow coming from the radiator flows between the coroplast and the catalytic converter, so I doubt a heat shield there will do much good, I believe there is already an aluminum heat shield on the cat too.