View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Floordford
Muscle Car Modder

QuikSilver - '00 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 24.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Wouser, and I am averaging 45mpg with my 010 base cobalt and I don't think I am even doing very well.

Is she driving pure stop and go every block? What distances does she drive?

Anyway Even my father when driving in town in the middle of winter (around zeroish) gets about 28mpg in the cobalt base. Not sure how you get lower in a Cobalt base as he is by no means an ECO driver. Must be idling a lot and sitting at a lot of stop lights.

To improve My first thoughts are that, maybe she needs to consider an alternate route (less stops), learning EOC at stoplights, learn to start watching her throttle and fe once up to speed and learning to keep her top speed lower.

Just to start anyway.

Also What oil are you using? When the local Lube place changed my oil last winter they put in normal 10w30 non-synthetic despite my providing 5-30 synthetic. My mileage dropped at least 6mpg after that and bounced right back when I put in the proper oil a bit early (I couldn't top 50mpg after that oil change which really burned me up). Needless to say even when my ass freezes to the pavement I am going to try to make sure I always change the oil myself. This car must be like the old geo and the old Kias in that it looses massive FE if the oil isn't light enough.

Good Luck
Ryan
Well thats what her stock instrumentation is telling her. She runs 5w-30 and yes she has alot of stop and go in TN where we have quite a few hills. And most people outside EcoModder.com do not over exercise their ignition switch at every stop. Im tring to get used to it myself. I dont do it that much because im worried about the instant drain on the battery of the cranking . It might put undo stress on the battery and starter. My Mustang has long tubes and to replace the starter it would take all day. The starter is under the header. To get the header off I need to take the whole front suspension down while supporting the body and engine.