View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #273 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My neighborhood has gotten 50x (made up statistic) more noisy and obnoxious in the last 20 years. So-called "development" (I'm told that this is progress?) has increased the traffic load tremendously, and on top of that each traffic "unit" is noisier because of the popularity of pulling the mufflers off everything. And they didn't have 70,000 watt car stereo systems back in the day either. I've had one pet get run over already (evidence leads me to believe it was on purpose) and I fear for my current one, who really hates to be imprisoned inside. I like my property but now because of everything going on right past my borders, I hate it here. Sell it and move? Real estate market is really tough right now and besides I don't know where to move to.

But it's not just the microcosm of my neighborhood. Everywhere I know- the farm I grew up on, the grandparent's lake place, the cities I lived in before- they are ALL far, far more noisy and busy than they were.

Ever heard of the TV show the Dukes of Hazzard? Ever listened to a demolition derby? Those sound effects are pretty much what our culture of retards thinks is appropriate for neighborhoods these days.

Oh how I want $8 gas!