View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #264 (permalink)
CFECO
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Hey Neil,

I just came across your project, and I was amazed at how similar your car is to one I was building to compete in the Auto X-Prize competition. If my photos get up here you will see.
The front suspension I was going to use might be of help for you, as my "Cab-forward" design required I leave room for the foot well. I am using the lower torsion tube from a VW sand rail ( available in aluminum but I don't know if they are strong enough) with it's trailing arm and an upper a-arm link. The upper a-arms are "sprung" with a horizontal airbag running perpendicular to the car centerline, above the footwell. The car's ride height will be variable depending on speed. Raised for entry and around town visibility, and lower for less frontal area at highway speeds.
For frame structural material I am using 2"x4" "Pultruded" fiberglass tubing, very light and strong.
The clay model is the first design I had, but it has been refined, after talking with a leading aerodynamic engineer, the rear wheel pants are not efficient. Straight sides are better. The messy shop photo was where I was getting the general shape and dimensions.
OK, the photos are too large to up-load to this forum, I'll have to shrink them later, anyway, we need to talk!

Chuck
The Following User Says Thank You to CFECO For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-07-2011)