View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Come to Europe to see big trucks in tight places

Sure, if it's not practical for what the truck/trailer is being used for, then don't use them.
But a lot of trailers spend most of their time on the highways between ports and loading docks. They'd benefit a lot from aero improvements.
Don't misunderstand me, I think it is a great idea when practical, but I just wanted to point out that mods can't be universal nor be really aggressive. A company-owned truck could probably use moderate aero with little trouble since they go from warehouse to developed dock, store to store - but a general duty trailer that can go anywhere and deliver anything would be impractical for most aeromods. Many independent truckers in the US don't know from day to day what sort of load they will have or even where they will be going tomorrow.

I come from a trucking family and have been around tractor/trailers all my life, so I'm not just guessing that they lead a hard life. I've never backed one myself, but I've seen skilled truckers put trailers in places you wouldn't believe possible, but they still often get damaged.

Last edited by instarx; 06-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: spelling error