View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
I don't know your budget but perhaps you might consider getting a used hybrid that already has the hardware and control systems built-in to the vehicle. This avoids having to go 'cold turkey' in to dealing with power levels and mechanical issues, not to mention the control law issues.

Another approach would be a 'hillbilly' plug-in that uses a battery to provide operating power and current for the 12V system. This can off-load the alternator drag on the engine and let utility power provide the power for the car systems. Best of all 48V to 13-14V power supplies at 500+ watts are 'off the shelf' available.

If you still want to put a motor in the car, the power supply could provide some measure of DC conversion, again without having to take the great of a leap of jumping straight into hybrid technology.

An intermediate step would be to replace the alternator with a motor-generator. This begins to look like the micro-hybrids GM still sells. The beauty is the alternator mount, belt, and wiring is already there. Certainly a lower weight penalty than a second, partially used, motor.

Just trying to offer easily accomplished efficiency improvement ideas.

Bob Wilson