View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
joggerfogger
EcoModding Lurker

Jogger Fogger - '07 GMC Sierra SLT
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Completely agree.

So this truck replaced 3 vehicles for me:
1. BMW 745Li (16-26mpg) $30k
2. Tacoma 4x4 (15-20mpg) $5k
3. Airstream Motorhome (6-7mpg) $14k
It's almost as nice as the BMW and will carry 5 full adults. It has 4WD like my Toyota, and I can pull a RV trailer when I need to. I race motorcycles, fly hang gliders, and camp (RV) with the family.

I read extensively about efficiency with this truck on all sorts of forums before and since I bought this truck. Insane amounts of reading. I would guess +200hrs.

I have the LBZ motor found in the 06-07 "classic" models right before the body redesign and adding of the DPF (diesel particulate filter) systems. All the mods for better FE (fuel efficiency) are to use the LBZ intake and delete the DPF. My conclusion after reading reports from respected tuners and enthusiasts alike, is that the stock intake is about as good as it gets until you go over 500hp. Same thing with the 3.5" exhaust; going to a 4" exhaust won't help unless you're demanding flow increases to support +500hp. (360hp is stock).

I did buy a cat delete pipe, but I'm waiting to establish some baseline numbers with the tuner alone before I swap out the kitty. From what I've read, there are negligible FE gains to be had with the delete, but the EGT (exhaust gas temp) should drop with the same conditions. But for $63 I thought it was worth a try.

-Kevin