View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

What is written on the sidewall of a tire is the MAXIMUM usable inflation pressure, but that doesn't mean that is the correct pressure to use. The vehicle tire placard has what the vehicle manufacturer specifies for tire size and inflation pressure - and that will almost never be what is written on the tire's sidewall.

I tried to look your vehicle up - a 1998 Volvo S40 SE, right? - and my book doesn't list that model because my book is for vehicles imported into the US and that one wasn't.

So look for the vehicle tire placard and see what it says.

But we do know one thing - and that is that you have changed tire sizes. But there is a way to connect the placard to what you are using and that is by calculating the load carrying capacity of the original tire size at the placard pressure and then figuring out what pressure is needed to match that load carrying capacity.

The calculation isn't difficult, but it requires the use of tire load table - which I have - and I would be glad to do that calculation, That way you'll know where you are relative to what the vehicle manufacturer says.