View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #96 (permalink)
CrazyLee
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '93 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink
90 day: 9.2 mpg (US)

The Bigger Beast - '03 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmears View Post
Just read an article from Cummins. It was 32 pages long and discribed the critical factors in getting better mileage from a truck with a Cummins engine. Their main point was that below 50 mph there is more rolling resistance that aero drag. Above 50 mph the air drag is a greater source of restance. Worn tires get better mileage. Ribbed tires get better mileage than cross treads. It is essential to inflate the tires to the safe maximum as every 10 psi low can cost a 1% loss in economy. The best truck drivers get 30% better mileage than the worse drivers. Just use the cruise control and you will beat the average.

Randy
Thanks Randy,

I know how hard it is to figure fuel mileage for a big RV. I went from fill up to fill up, 1/2 tank to full (my RV has another 1/4 to go to actual full). The $100 is what the pump took out of my credit card and shut off. The previous fill up was about exactly the same. I used the miles driven and fuel used to calculate the mpg from my last run. The difference between the previous fill and the best results was 100 miles more travel, 350 miles vs 450 miles.
I'm not sure what affected the lower mpg but ethanol may be the culprit

My MPGuino was not working right, the data was trashed by a lightening strike! So I couldn't get those results.
I had it re-flashed and I found the bad data yesterday. I hope to check it out today for correct mpg.

Cheers, Lee

I ran the RV today, 6-10-2011 and the MPGuino responded well. The temperature was 60 deg. and it had rained today so the humidity was high.
My fuel mileage reading was 13.8 mpg at the highest.

I'll have to run another mileage test once the gas price drops to $3.50 or so. I'll have to fork over $200 to fill it. Ouch.

Last edited by CrazyLee; 06-10-2011 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: New data