View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
hellcats
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa
90 day: 35.43 mpg (US)
Newbie with auto - what can I do about urban driving

I'm on my third tank since joining ecomodder.com. I have an '08 Nissan Versa 1.8L with auto transmission and bought an Ultra-Gauge. I've been experimenting with different driving techniques and can get about 41 MPG on the highway. I shift into neutral when exiting the highway and watch the MPG just soar. But conversely, once I start driving between traffic lights in an Urban setting, the MPG just tanks. I've tried all kinds of things to prevent this, but so far I can only manage about 22 MPG when driving around town. Things I've tried: 1) accelerate at 75% load, then shift to neutral and coast to the next light. 2) accelerate slowly to about 30 and then turn on CC until I can shift to neutral and coast to the next light. 3) Shifting to neutral at lights 4) turning off the engine if I'm 4th or more in line at a light 5) parking immediately when I enter a parking lot 6) braking early to give myself more time if I think a red is about to turn green. 7) inflate tires to 40 P.S.I. 8) replace oil with low-viscosity Mobil 1

But even with all that, every time I move away from a light I helplessly watch those hard earned 40+ numbers just ticking away. The Versa is such a light-weight little vehicle, why is it so hard to get it up to 30 MPH? Anyone else with an auto have any ideas?