View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Floordford
Muscle Car Modder

QuikSilver - '00 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 24.7 mpg (US)
Well my project behind the thought was to pick up a small fuel sipper and pull the engine before I start relying on it. I can make the changes while its down.

It seems as though polishing the intake and exhaust should work. Im not talking about a major port job where alot of material is being removed. Just a smoothing out of the rough surfaces left by low cost factory castings. Another thought was to actually add material. With the head and intake off material could get welded on to create even more of a tapered velocity effect. Or fill in bad imperfections from bolt mountings. I figure just like the front of a car benefits from being smooth so would the air getting inside the engine.

And I know smaller engines make for better MPGs. But if im working with a car that already has the base line engine then my only option is to either go back in years to see if an older motor with smaller displacement might retrofit or work with what the manufacturer installed. Thats why I wanted to know what mods I can do to an engine can benefit it. No matter the engine. So say i did swap it for a smaller engine, my question still applies.

I also wonder how honest oil companies are when they sell eco and gas saving oils. Thinner oils might do well and synthetics are even better. But I wouldnt run synthetic in my transmission unless recommended by the manufacturer. The reason being is that slippery synthetics can cause the synchros not to grip with the needed friction to help the gear change causing hard shifts.

Last edited by Floordford; 06-10-2011 at 05:11 PM..