View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #123 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

A small update.

- Intake temps. They seem to rise and fall more than they did before and are overall much lower. They do increase with load quite a lot so I suspect either i) the sensor is down channel from the turbo so extra load = higher temp, or ii) some warm air is still being drawn into the sealed off top section. Once this tank is out of the way I will take off the grill block for a tank and see what happens to prove i) is some use of "the google" does not answer that beforehand.

- Helga's service, my tame spanner people almost refused to do it as she is not due - but I prefer a 6 month interval, I have only done 4k miles since the last one in December and the official interval is 10K - or so they said. Did I mention I don't drive very far They did an oil and filter change anyway and checked her over. New front disks will be needed soon but I may go elsewhere as they fitted the last ones which juddered a lot for quite a while after gently bedding in.

I know I should do these myself but I have a major work project which is eating weekends and evenings at the moment.

- The mods seem service friendly, in fact they asked what I was getting - I am currently getting more miles than the guy who works there who has a 1.4 TDI 3cyl, so I tols him about the 80mpg EXOXANTIA has reported (see earlier posts) - he was amazed.

- I have un-modified Helga slightly by refitted the spare wheel and jack. I did this for a vital and serious reason - the thin bit of plywood Skoda fit as a spare wheel cover didn't have any support under it and so kept collapsing. Not noticed any difference since refitting TBH.

- All trips have had an AVG reading of >60 each including short local hops to run people back and forth.

- A sidelight bulb has gone *(pads over to the annoyances thread tp compose post about how ss car designers are when bulbs need replacing).

- Mrs A's Octavia (2.0 TDI 140PD 80K miles) has just put in its best tank I've ever measured at 54.8 (imp), which given the accelerator is used like a switch is not bad. I think it knows its going as the DMF has the dreaded 'cold shudder' which coud indicate failure is due.

It did stall today when Mrs A thought it was out of gear and I'm pretty sure it was too. Only a few weeks to last though.

- And on Mrs A she has mentioned Helga's age which is an issue as she is not liking older cars for kid transport. I have said sell the Octavia and keep Helga, she says trade them both in but its a bit of guilt as she is getting a nice, new, shiny car. So we are in "discussion", again.