View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #332 (permalink)
ianbartie
VW Polo EV

I blew 2 a couple of weeks ago when I was fiddling about trying to get the display to work. I had the controller in the car with the back off it so I could get to the control board. The control board is usually fixed to the base so it was hanging loose & I thing something was touching something it should not have been touching because when I turned on the ignition & the contactors closed there were some fireworks.
Inspection showed mosfets #2 & #3 were blown big time & 1 of their gate resistors had a very high resistance. Replaced the sad bits & put it back together with the back on this time.
I got a small pop when I turned everything back on - I though it may have been a tiny bit of crap from the previous event across the motor commutator or something. Could not find anything & nothing indicated anything happened to the controller because it was working.
During the week I was trying different controller settings, I noticed that the motor amps were not getting up to 511 like they were but more like 470 or so.
It was only because I had the controller out to make a keyhole mount for the bottom mounting screws (I discovered that I could not get to the botton screws with the front of the car on) I decided to have a quick look inside.
There was a small amount of soot that was not there before & a really close look showed #6 mosfet with a crack in it's case. I also found #10 gate resistor to be open circuit. Replaced these unhappy parts too.
No pops or smoke this time when the juice went on but this is when the display stopped showng motor & battery amps.