View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
skyking
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
I think about it all the time. I am putting a kelderman-like rear single bag at the back spring mount today, Have that all fabbed up waiting for the air bags to come in.
http://www.keldermanairride.com/pdf/...uctions_2_.pdf
Something similar to that with some differences in how the swing arm is captured.
The air ride 5th wheel in the bed is something I dreamed up. It works pretty good so far. You hit a big bump, look in the mirror and watch the 5th wheel travel about 3" soaking that up. I accidentally made it home from the beach with a full glass of water on the counter!
I am constructing my own pin box with an elastomeric bearing in it, and thinking about an air slide feature that will let me bring the trailer in close to a fairing. I'd set a minimum distance that would accommodate the angle I can get driving forward with the wheel hard over. I could pull the pin with air, lock the trailer brakes just like a pup trailer and slide it back for maximum maneuvering.
I figure no more than a foot of travel but that could be huge in the aerodynamic department.

I don't know what brand of torsion axle, probably either al-ko or dexter. They do seem a bit "stiff", not moving much when I jacked the rig up to do a brake job. It does look good in the mirror going down the road, appears to ride nice.
I can weigh my rig for free at the State DOT scale on the way to and from our beach lot. They are very nice dual pad digital scales. I have checked the rig and adjusted the front ride height several times. I have the axles at 4200 and 4020, which is pretty close to a perfect balance.
I have backed onto them with only one side on and checked lateral balance as well.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears