View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Peakster
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemooer View Post
By the time i got to the left turn lane of a 5 lane road, i was hit by a full size conversion van. The lady didn't even stop until 15 feet after the white line on the road. Any on coming cars saw what happened and had already stopped so they didn't hit her. She tried to sue me !! Turns out she had hit two other pedestrians within a year and 3 accidents so they took her license away.
But still, i definitely had the right of way, and she was trying to sue the kid she hit, and fight the tickets.
Oh wow, that is quite the story!

One thing that the head office person told me is that a motorist who is insured with SGI cannot sue me under their 'no fault' insurance even if I'm at fault. The most I'd ever had to pay for is the physical damage to a vehicle (example: they can't sue for lost wages or whatever).

That being said, head office said it is very rare for a cyclist to be found at fault in a bike-vehicle collision. Even if a cyclist cut in front of a vehicle or something like that, there's still the whole "motorists have the responsibility of having a higher awareness for pedestrians and cyclists" clause. Although that isn't set in stone; it's just a generally accepted concept.