View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #116 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinpa View Post
Again... you believe the safety margin is reduced because of... ...
Do we have any definitive, empirical data reflecting that?
It should be obvious to all that there is a bursting pressure, and higher pressure is closer to it. That's all I meant, don't read any more into it.

Quote:
How did the manufacturer find that "golden" sidewall max. value? How did they come up with? They won't tell us.. .. "Trade Secret" So, we have to take their word for it.
It seems obvious to me that the sidewall pressure is the highest pressure that the manufacturer is comfortable specifying. I have no special tire knowledge so I have to rely on the manufacturer.

Quote:
I am neither a scientist nor a tire designer. So what makes you think you can come here and advocate 5-10 PSI over the sidewall max.?

Well, for one, I am talking from my own experience. 8 years and over 200,000 km driven on 10PSI on multiple vehicles ( see previous posts).

When I first got introduced to this concept, my jaw dropped on the floor.

The thing is, 10 minutes after (being introduced to the idea), I had the opportunity to experience it right away and I was sold by the end of the day.
Good for you. You have more faith than I, even though you profess none on the other hand. As I stated before, your fuel efficiency gains are minimal after exceeding the sidewall maximum, and you are running with less margin of safety. Since you are not a tire designer or a scientist, why can you not just leave it at that?