View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Good on ya dr200!! Seems 80mpg is THE top end number for freeway speeds without aero improvements on motorcycles. That is just about what I've been getting on my 200 as well.

I'm often (about 50%) at WOT on the freeway, but the engine is not spinning anywhere near redline, so I have no worries about toasting the engine soon. I am curious just how long the engine will last though. I'm using synthetic oil, and moving to Shell Rotella T6 as I understand it's the best choice for motorcycles, you should consider using it also for this hard working engine.

I could see the 105 mpg but only at lower speeds where the aero drag is reduced.

The spark plug check is only accurate when shutting the engine off at the speed and load at which you wish to check the mixture. If you just check it when you get home or arrive a the shop, you are reading the mixture as it was just prior to when it was turned off. I strongly suggest using an o2 sensor and gauge to really get it right.

The cool thing I like about it is that you can adjust the carb for a lean area on one of the circuits where the engine load is low. Using the gauge you can adjust your throttle to take advantage of this lean condition and squeak out a few more mpg when the conditions are right, the gauge will help you see exactly where this occurs. My last tank was just over 82, 66% freeway.