View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
WVengr
EcoModding Lurker

Bruiser - '97 Nissan D21 Reg Cab
90 day: 23.43 mpg (US)

Aspire - '95 Ford Aspire Base
Something is wrong not sure what

My 1997 Nissan D21 4cyl manual is getting pretty awful mileage, despite my efforts to coax a few more MPG out of it, I cant seem to beat the EPA estimates by more than 1 or 2 MPG unless I resort to things like following an 18 wheeler at 50 MPH for 150 miles (the two spikes in my mileage record here).

I am coasting (with engine on until i get around to adding a electric booster for power brakes) down hills and to places i know i have to stop, shutting the engine off at stop lights, shifting so that the RPM never goes above 2000, and driving slow on the highway. Using these techniques I have been able to get a lot better MPG in my previous cars, but cant get anything here. (Or maybe I am and would be getting 13mpg without this.)

This is really frustrating me. I changed the Air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires, changed oil to lowest viscosity recommended by manufacturer, new MAP sensor, New Catalytic converter. The exhaust leaks at the muffler but I don't think that would be causing this (going to fix it soon anyway). Anyone know what I should check? I am getting only a little better mileage than I get in my 1958 Edsel with a 2 speed auto and a 5.9L V8 (and I drive it with alot more spirit than i do the truck) in this and it is a 4 cyl with a 5 speed!

Retired: Will add the new car once i manage to run a tank of gas through it.