View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
I could tell you are a writer.

Actually I am trying to encourage you to try my idea.

The only thing stopping me right now is both my spare diesel heads need remanufactured. The valve seats are so worn that the valves cannot be adjusted any more. And if I take out the buckets, the stems hit the cam. Do you know if the seats can be replaced?
Sure, valve seats can be replaced, you will need a machine shop that does this type of work, and I doubt it will be overly cheap, but not a task for the home mechanic due to the specialized equipment needed for a job like this. Good Luck.

I would give your idea a shot, if I had a turbo diesel. I drove a 1981 NA rabbit diesel for a few years back in the early 90s. Speed limits were lower then, and I live in New England (read lots of hills here), and the car was a PITA to drive due to the lack of power. I can't imagine trying to drive one on half it's power at today's speeds. I used to down shift to 3rd (4 speed) just to climb some of the hills on the highway, foot to the floor, and you barely crawl over the hill at around 45mph. Try that on the highway today and your bound to get run off the road :-( It seems like everyone is flying these days.

To me a SVO/WVO kit would be the way to go with a diesel, I mean your not addressing mpg but you are cutting your cost per mile, while keeping the same HP/TQ. I am currently on the look out for a newer 96+ VW TDI for a decent price, but people seem to think they are worth double the book value just because they get 45-50 mpg :-( I have a long 50+ miles each way commute, so this option would work well for me, but if you do a lot of short trips then it probably won't benefit you as much.

Again, best of luck. JoJo