View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
joggerfogger
EcoModding Lurker

Jogger Fogger - '07 GMC Sierra SLT
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Kevin, that looks really good. If I were you, I'd just go for it.
By saying "go for it", I mean skip building the tube and coroplast prototype, and build the final version.
Here is the stitch and glue method I'm suggesting.
Stitch-N-Glue
I love it. I do like the wood idea. Those boats look awesome and I too would go for a natural wood finish if I went that way. But I don't think it fits with what this truck is about. maybe if I was a woodworker for a profession? Although I do use biodiesel and it would fit in with a "natural" theme.
I think I'm going to use the same basic construction technique. wood or metal ribs and coroplast for the skin. I'm hoping that once I figure out sketchup better, I can derive the "orange peel slice" shapes so I don't have to fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
I guess you've looked at my aero cap thread?
Compared to my cab high topper/camper...
Making a hatch wasn't as easy as one might think....
Is this yer daily driver truck?...
Is security one of yer goals fer yer aero cap?
Does yer truck have a rear sliding window?
My current aero cap weighs about 50lbs (just a guess)
  • I did read your thread. I acutally found it on the Toyota? site first by accident from a google search, and then read more here. Really cool stuff.
  • The hatch would be only if I liked the whole idea and moved on to Ver. 2 made of fiberglass. But yea, I hear you on the difficulty.
  • Yes, daily driver. I also have a 01 Golf that I use, but it's shared with my whole family- just stored at my house, so it's not always available.
  • Security, no. bed is empty when not in use. (motorcycles, yard debris, gravel, barkdust, firewood, camping equipment)
  • No rear slider in the back window.
  • Storage is not an issue. I have a shop and 1/2ac. for stuff to sit around.
I gave it another stab on sketchup. I'm learning slowly. very slowly. I think my most common command is Ctrl-Z (undo). It takes me about 10 mistakes to make one good move. I'm going to keep trying until I get it the way I envision. I've found myself attempting tutorial objects like chairs and tables in order to learn the tools. It's amazing what you can do with sketchup.
This is version 3. I would expect that I'll get it by version 5.