View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I’ve been reading about this gas “fracking” thing and it may (eventually) be a game-changer.

Me, I’d get a vehicle with a gas engine. Jack up the compression and advance the ignition timing to take advantage of the high octane of CNG. One of these new F-150s with their direct-injection twin-turbo V-6s would do nicely. (although I’ve heard negative reports about their six-speed automatics – I’ve heard they “hunt” for torque converter lockup)

Now the pain of a big vehicle that has little payload space becomes very livable.
Also remember I wanted to own a Honda CNG car but discovered it was too cumbersome in my area (no non-restricted filling locations, expensive pump install and maintenance) I would have bought a Honda CNG car in a heartbeat if it had dual fuel so I could fill when I am in the fox cities area and get cheap "gas" and not have range anxiety when I am in any other area of the state which do not have CNG.

If I can't convince you otherwise, Ford sold various years of F-250/350 and their eq. vans with CNG from the factory, ideally you would want dual fuel as you will find CNG stations are not the easiest to locate in most areas.

In other words, buy a car that is already CNG and don't bother trying to convert, several fords are available at the lacrosse wi. honda dealer oddly enough.

Cheers
Ryan