View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Thought i'd give a brief update on my car.

What engineer thought it was a bright idea to have a plastic to metal junction on the shift cable eyelet (connects shift cable to shifter shaft)? I've read that its a very common problem with these cars. Shortly after i got the car, the junction broke. I had to pay the rape shop (mechanic) 285$ in labor to change the cable, and i got the cable for 65$ online. Ofcourse, two weeks after that the junction on the new cable broke.... it was the same design.... Plastic to metal connection. Most likely it's very sensitive to heat and gets real weak when the car is sitting in the sun all day. After more searching, i found a replacement eyelet piece that has 2 set screws to attach to the metal cable. This is a more permanent fix and have not had problems since. I have not really had oil burning issues like others have mentioned.

About the FE of my car.... In the winter months i was averaging around 42mpg. Now that its warmer I've been averaging 50-52mpg (485miles on 9.5 gallons is the norm). This is with 0 modifications to the car, all driving technique.... Pulse and Glide, Lots of EOC, Engine off while stopped, DWL and using the brakes as little as possible. All 4 tires have 65psi in them.

Not bad for a car that EPA's 30MPG combined!

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today