View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
For commuting to work, a pedal bike is best up to about 3 miles. You don't have to pedal hard and sweat, and you are just warming up at that distance. The electric bikes range varies but a typical lead acid 48V-12aH system will get you maybe 15 miles (more if you don't use the throttle as much). So the electric bike is best for trips of 3 to 7 miles if you don't have a place to plug it in, and 3 to 15 miles if you do have a place to plug it in.

I went through 3 sets of 4 batteries each over about 5 years. I think a set cost about $120. I finally got tired of paying for lead acid batteries that do not last long. I used the bike quite a bit but it seems like batteries should last more than a year.

I would like to try lithium batteries but never seem to be able to cough up enough cash to get a pack. It would probably be $400 to $600 to get a battery system (I haven't checked lately).

The real reason I stopped riding the electric bike is that I need exercise and riding (or walking) to work is great exercise.