View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
So the VT500 transmission ratio is pretty similar to that of Teresa (4000rpm at 100km/h in 5th, 5000 at 125). And I can't change it either, I don't know about different belt sprockets available for the F650CS, so in this sense a belt drive is similar to a shaft.

On aero: wow, the Virago is more like a piece of art, not designed with merely function in mind, that seems harder to aero mod to me! The VT500 has a more 'solid' look (if it's the VT500 I googled). I might be wrong, though
I have learned quit a bit from the mods on my other bikes so this one [VT500] will start from a better starting point. What I like more and more is the behind the rider aero-cargo "box", the utility of the bike is greatly inhanced with this aeromod. The saddle bag area behind the riders legs seems to have deminished in importance and volume. It seems that only by actualy building something can you find a better way of doing it next time. Just thinking about it leaves you stuck in a rut.
The sides of the aero-cargo box will be curve as will the top. The sides and bottom will be Aluminium and the top may have to be foam and fiber glass, to accomidate some compound curves. It will be 36" long, 16" or 18" wide at the front and 4" wide at the rear. I selected these dimensions because they are close to what I did on an other bike that has been riden in cross winds of more than 60km/hr [37mph] without any problems.
The front fairing will be unconventional in shape, made from aluminium sheet, foam and fiber glass.
Some of the ongoing problems are keeping it accessable for sevice and repair and reversable so that it can be return to stock configuration if i should want to sell it.
An other consideration for this design is getting more weight onto the front wheel for better handleing after aeromods.