View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
cbergeron
EcoModding Lurker

aerospire - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 56.92 mpg (US)

Hindsight - '00 Honda Insight
I drive very consciously and safely with these wheels during this experiment. The rear of the car definitely 'boat tails' at high speed, so I can't go above 55 with this configuration. I never go that fast during my commute, so it's not really an issue (unless I'm coasting down a big hill and trying to get up as much speed as possible for coast).

Well, after thinking about it more, by adding these skinny wheels netted out less of an increase than I previously thought. For one thing, these wheels aren't broken in yet. More importantly, by replacing the wider wheels with narrower ones I've created a gap in the rear wheel well that acts like a parachute.

During this most recent tank, I did a wiper delete, passenger mirror delete and replaced a major trim piece on the passenger door. I have a feeling that those mods netted my higher MPGs and the skinny wheels netted out even.

I think I'll see a significant increase when I install rear wheel covers.

Tripleskate: Suprisingly, aside from more sensitive steering, the ride isn't much different. It rolls nicely and they make a neat whine sound that sounds like an electric motor. It's very subtle, and I actually like it - considering that one day I'd like to convert this bird to an electric.

Last edited by cbergeron; 05-09-2008 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Replied to Tripleskates question