View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #337 (permalink)
pnikolaj
EcoModding Lurker

Smoke is never good...

... especially when you are working with electronics.

I completed building the display about a month ago and powered it up with 12 volts and all was well. This past weekend I finally got a chance to mount it in the car. I spent 3-4 hours making the installation look real nice and decided it was time to connect the display to the traction battery. That's when the smoke appeared.

I failed to notice the pin-outs on the last page of Cougar LCD - PCB Assembly Instructions - Rev0.pdf and used page 9 of CougarLCD_User_Manual_Rev_1_3.pdf to determine the connections. I assumed that the pins read left to right and now realize after looking real close at the schematic that I applied 98 volts to the 12V feed for the buzzer. The board is now toast.

If anyone has a spare board they would be willing to sell I would greatly appreciate it. I now have a sad hole in the dash of my car that is begging for a display unit.

P.S.
I am offering my services to test instructions. Those who frequent the Paul & Sabrina's cheap DIY 144v motor controller thread will realize I made a similar error when connecting the controller for the first time- see post for a sample of my ability to mis-interpret instructions.