View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #301 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The city I live in is -- for North America -- the one of its' size and larger with the least amount of traffic delay. Which makes it "funny" that the locals have come up with their own interpretation of a "Yield" sign. Apparently one is to come to a full stop along the highway frontage/service roads in deference to traffic Exiting the freeway (and this is lost in translation) but Entering the service road . . instead of merging together as is done universally all other places.

Recently one set of entrances and exits along the highway were rebuilt, so no longer are there any Yield signs. But you guessed it they'll still stop in the road when the exiting traffic from the highway which now has its own lane comes present.

Need I say that literacy, basic literacy, is so low in South Texas that another burg is the largest in the U.S. without even a bookstore? Or that a nicely-done late 1980's central city library (here) is being given over to the police . . why read? Just do what the others do. God forbid one were forced to read the Texas Drivers Handbook. That might entail knowing how to read.

The entrance ramp onto the highway is no better. If one is traveling along in the outermost freeway lane expect to see the one-finger salute if you, like me, would rather run them off the road than be forced to yield illegally. No clue, just no clue whatsoever . . . and they speed up to the speed at which they could easily have earlier, legally, achieved.

The incredibly low rate of auto insurance coverage locally rather well explains the first, but not the second. A misplaced "courtesy" would seem to cover both, a courtesy that endangers all others. (Nothing like it in the morning fog).