View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Again, I have to ask if this has been tested. I can't see it myself. (But since I'm not an automotive engineer & have done no testing, I can't say for sure.) I'd agree, intuitively, that wider tires would have advantages on smooth, dry roads, but how about in the rain? Seems as though wider tires would make hydroplaning more likely. (And if you've ever suddenly found yourself doing 65 mph down the highway, backwards, you'll know hydroplaning is nothing to joke about.)

Similar arguments would seem to apply for gravel, snow, etc. Looking at what's best for Formula 1 cars, which run on a prepared track, is perhaps not the best source of data for general road use.
your correct in some of your assumptions, a wider tire *can* be a deterrent in inclement weather conditions, but not always.
case in point, my 99 Ranger XLT as a perfect example.
the stock tires were 235/70/15, and I had serious problems with cross winds, and changes in the road itself, constant swaying and even some curves on the hwy made me feel like I might tip. when it was raining, I continuously hydroplaned, in even the smallest of standing water. I changed rims (but with the same diameter) and put 255/70/15's on it. which helped it a TON in both clear skies and stormy weather (drove through 2 different tropical systems without a problem) not to mentioned increased my cornering capacity by (guessing) 15-20%.
then just prior to trading it, I got even wider, but with lower profile, tires @ 295/50/15's and my ranger stuck to the road like it was glued down, regardless of the weather, not to mention increasing its handling even more, maybe another 20-25% (again, guessing)

my old subi outback, I put aftermarket 17" rims with 215/50/17 tires on it, and I had to fight all the time with it hydroplaning, but then I put the stock rims back on with a brand new set of 225/60/16's on it and it never hydro'd after.

extrapolate from that as you will. but in both instances, going with a wider tire gave me better handling, both in clear and stormy weather conditions.